Saturday, August 8, 2009

Entomologist Wanted


Finally, a picture of the rare and mysterious bug that lives in my cellar. I have lived in my house for almost 18 years and have co-existed with this dude and his ancestors for the entire time. They mostly keep to the cellar, but occasionally I will find one upstairs. I think they prefer moisture because usually when I see them upstairs they are stuck in the sink. Once I found one in the washing machine (ugh!). As you can see they have lots of long legs, and I can assure you that these little bastards can motor. This one has a body about an inch, maybe an inch and a quarter long, but I have seen them bigger. I have never been able to figure out what it is (it's not in my bug book), so I have to hope that some bug expert (perhaps looking for a job) googles just the right combination of words to bring him/her to my blog and can tell me what the heck this is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a cave centipede, or Scutigeromorph. Be careful, as they have a poisonous bite.

On the other hand, they are predators, so they keep a check on other creatures, such a cockroaches, termites, and so on.